Georges Legros vintage costume jewelry
Georges Legros vintage costume jewelry (1917-1998)
The history of the Georges Legros brand began over a hundred years ago, in 1917. However, the history of the family jewelry business began in the 19th century, when the French jeweler Mr. Murat created a small company in 1850. Having become a senator in Ardèche, he entrusted the administration to Achilles Legros, who had two sons Marius and Georges. Marius Legros founded the ML jewelry company in 1905, and Georges founded the Bijoux GL jewelry company in the neighboring town of Cheylard, in 1917.
In fact, it was the competition between these companies that allowed them to develop successfully. Based in the Ardèche department in the south of France, highly skilled craftsmen created luxury jewellery in gold plating and 925 sterling silver. Traditionally, they combined manual labor, time-tested traditions and modern technologies.
GL group got the most prestigious French awards “Living Heritage seal” and “Joaillerie de France”.
Noteworthy, the GL Group is no longer managed by the Legros family. In 1998 Altesse company bought GL group, headed by the representative of the third generation jewelers – Pierre Legros. The company couldn’t survive the changes of policy and owners, which led to its compulsory liquidation on March 25, 2014.
The GL Group offers jewelry under licenses from Kenzo, Nina Ricci, Paul & Joe, Ted Lapidus, and Inès de la Fressange. Under its own label, the GL group markets the Altesse, GL Paris, as well as a Les Georgettes capsule collection.