Kaleidoscope effect

Jewellery kaleidoscope

Banana republic vintage costume jewelry

Banana republic vintage costume jewelry

Fox brooch. Gold tone metal alloy, champagne and clear rhinestones. 1990s. Banana republic vintage costume jewelry

Banana republic vintage costume jewelry

The history of the American jewelry brand “Banana Republic” began in 1978. Its founders are talented artists from San Francisco Patricia Ziegler and her husband Mel Ziegler (b.1956). Previously, they both worked for The San Francisco Chronicles, where Patricia was an illustrator and Mel was a reporter.
Originally, they named their family business “Banana Republic Travel & Safari Clothing Company”. Starting the production of leather goods, travel bags, umbrellas, walking sticks, etc., the company has achieved great success. However, five years later Patricia and Mel had to sell their business to “Gap Inc”.
Initially, the new owners shortened the company’s name to Banana Republic (Apparel), LLC. Also, they registered two jewelry trademarks “Banana Republic” and “BR” (in 1993 and 2004).
BR jewelry includes beautiful handmade statement necklaces, chains, cuff bracelets and dangling earrings. Traditionally, craftsmen used gold tone metal alloy, Swarovski crystals, Cubic Zirconia, rhinestones, enamel, resin, and art glass imitating natural stones. Noteworthy, the marking on each product consists of the initials BR, with a letter B turned backwards.
Undoubtedly, the BR company was the “favorite child” of Mel and Patricia, as in 2012 they published a book “Wild Company: The Untold Story of Banana Republic”.
Read more »

Bates and Bacon antique jewelry

Bates and Bacon antique jewelry

Art Nouveau woman in flower hat 14 K gold monogram locket pendant. 1900s. Bates and Bacon antique jewelry

Bates and Bacon antique jewelry
Based in Attleboro, Massachusetts, “Bates & Bacon” is one of the oldest and legendary jewelry makers of the 19-20th centuries. Its history is inextricably linked with the history of the country.
Joseph M. Bates joined “Skinner, Viall & Company” (founded in 1857) in 1858. Since that time, the company’s name changed to Bates, Capron & Williams. Finally, in 1867, he headed the company, and in partnership with George M. Bacon renamed the company to “Bates & Bacon”. Initially, the company manufactured rolled gold plated bracelets, and since 1882 they began production of watch cases. Since 1907, Bates & Bacon belonged to Tappan brothers, and since the 1920s to A. S. Blackinton and F. E. Tappan.
The company, destroyed by fire in 1898 and rebuilt, has changed several owners and ceased to exist during the WWII. Their high quality gold filled pocket watch cases and jewelry, including rolled gold, filled and plated bracelets, are highly collectible now.
Read more »

Signed Barol Paris vintage costume jewelry

Signed Barol Paris vintage costume jewelry

Exotic Fish design openwork gold plated brooch. 9 cm. 1980s. Signed Barol Paris vintage costume jewelry

Signed Barol Paris vintage costume jewelry
The history of French costume jewelry marked “Barol” began in June 1985, when Fernand Barol (born on October 28, 1935) founded his limited liability company. He opened his jewelry shop Les Bijoux Barol at 21 Rue Tronchet, 75008 Paris.
Initially, he handcrafted gorgeous runaway fashion jewelry – large dangling earrings, brooches, pendants, necklaces and bracelets. Traditionally, the jeweler used high quality metal alloys of gold tone, as well as gold plating, art glass, mother-of-pearl, and rhinestones. The marking on the back side of each item includes “Barol Paris” on a rectangular cartouche.
Noteworthy, Barol created costume jewelry mostly in the 1980-90s, following the trends of Parisian fashion shows of famous couturiers. Large gold-tone jewelry complemented any dress, shoes, gloves, a hat, etc. Made for a short period in limited quantities, his statement jewelry is rare and collectible.
Wholesale jeweler, in addition to buying and selling fashion accessories, he was engaged in other business. Fernand Barol ran his businesses for about 40 years until his retirement. When Barol was 80 years old, his company ceased to exist (2015). According to sources, due to the bankruptcy.
Read more »

Kathryn Regier Gough artisan jewelry

Kathryn Regier Gough artisan jewelry

Cloisonne enamel brooch with onyx. 1987. Kathryn Regier Gough artisan jewelry

Kathryn Regier Gough artisan jewelry
Born in 1935 in Kansas and raised in Virginia, Kathryn Regier Gough is a professional arts and crafts artist, painter and jewelry designer. In the mid-1970s, she began studying jewelry, as well as graphics, engraving, pottery and weaving. Also, she learned metalsmithing, and silversmithing. Noteworthy, her enameling technique is self-taught and differs from other enamelists. According to the artist, there are five or six people in the United States, who work in the same technique.
Huntington, New York based jeweler from the 1980s and 90s, she created abstract floral design brooches, necklaces and pendants that reveal the painter’s eye. For her abstract and floral design pieces, she used multicolor cloisonne enamel, mostly pastel tones, sterling silver and 18 K gold. Also, she used gold foil within the layers of enamel which gives a golden glow to the piece. Traditionally, she signed her pieces with initials KRG on oval cartouche. Sometimes she engraved her signature and the year of manufacture.
Crafted by a talented designer Kathryn Regier Gough, unique wearable pieces of art are exhibited in museums, and written about.
Read more »

Signed Gigi Giusti vintage costume jewelry

Gigi Giusti vintage costume jewelry

Guardian Angel holding Dove Bird matte gold tone lapel pin. 1994. Signed Gigi Giusti vintage costume jewelry

Gigi Giusti vintage costume jewelry
The history of Gigi signed costume jewelry spans rather short period from 1990 till 2000. Located in Burbank, California, luxury goods and jewelry company Gigi Accessories Inc. had 10 trademarks registered from 1994 to 1998. In particular, Angelica (1994), Hug-a-Bear (1995), Santa’s Pet, Santa’s Secret, Simple Fabulous, Millennium, Simply Charming (all in 1996), Legends og Camelot, and Secrets From the Heart (1998). Since 2000, the status of all these trademarks -cancelled.
Traditionally, the company’s craftsmen used gold and silver tone metal alloys, enamel and rhinestones. They created earrings, bracelets, necklaces, rings, brooches, and more often lapel pins. According to these pieces, the favorite design was angel. The marking on the back side of each piece included “Gigi, Guisti, and USA on oval base. In addition, some items were sold in beautiful velvet boxes, or on paper cards with the inscription “Gigi Accessories Inc.”, “All rights reserved”, “Made in USA”, and the year of manufacture.
Noteworthy, some sources mistakenly name Louis Giusti as Gigi Accessories Inc’s chief designer. However, renowned jewelry designer of 1960s, Louis Giusti created brutalist statement pieces, and signed them with his initials “LG”.
Read more »

Birmingham jeweler Arthur Johnson Smith

Birmingham jeweler Arthur Johnson Smith

Violin brooch. Sterling silver, gold plated. 4.8 cm. 1894. Birmingham jeweler Arthur Johnson Smith

Birmingham jeweler Arthur Johnson Smith
Undoubtedly, the history of AJS jewelry is closely intertwined with the history of England, and particularly, Manchester. Moreover, it was history that dictated the style and design of his jewelry.
Born in the middle of the 19th century, English jeweler Arthur Johnson Smith founded his workshop “Variety Works” in 1882. Located at 46 Frederick Street, Birmingham, the company produced jewelry until the late 1930s. Noteworthy, the building itself, built by the architect Ewen Harper in 1882, was located in the world famous Jewelry district of Birmingham.
Traditionally, during the reign of Queen Victoria, the company’s craftsmen handcrafted exquisite Victorian jewelry. However, with the death of Queen Victoria in 1901, the range of jewelry expanded to mourning locket pendants, pins and brooches. In fact, mourning jewelry became most popular during and after the First World War, which killed 12,320 Birmingham people.
The company’s products became very popular throughout England, and along with Birmingham, their second office appeared in Chester. The labeling included – ‘AJS’, ‘A.J.S’, ‘A · J · S’, Anchor, Lion and some letter. The anchor for the Birmingham assay office, and the lion for sterling silver. Finally, the letter contains the date, for example, M for 1896, P for 1914, O for 1938, etc.
Read more »

Frank Meisler vintage sculpted jewelry

Frank Meisler vintage sculpted jewelry

Amulet brooch against evil eye. Gold plated sterling silver. 4.5 cm. Frank Meisler vintage sculpted jewelry

Frank Meisler vintage sculpted jewelry
World famous Israeli sculptor and architect, Frank Meisler (1929 – 2018) was the author of the monument to Stalin, Roosevelt and Churchill in Sochi, as well as memorials in Washington, Miami, Moscow, etc.
However, Tel Aviv based artist was also a brilliant designer of jewelry with intricate compositions. Each of his exquisitely handcrafted brooches or pendants shows the personality of the sculptor with his vision of Judaism. Traditionally, Meisler used 925 sterling silver, gold and a variety of natural stones – onyx, malachite, or lapis. Among the artist’s most famous works are such jewelry series as the Signs of the Zodiac, the Star of David, the Hamsa Amulet or the Hand Amulet. Noteworthy, the uniqueness of jewelry with symbols of Judaism is that they work like magnets to attract the necessary energy. The master signed all his products with his full name in a stylized artistic script.
Created in 1962 “Frank Meisler Ltd”. company went through several re-registrations and updates and is still active.
Read more »