Signed Brookraft vintage costume jewelry
The history of New York based jewelry company Brookraft Inc. covers no more than two decades. Founded in the late 1930s, the company ceased to exist in 1952. The company was well known in the post-war years of the United States. Thus, advertisements for brooches, bracelets and necklaces made by Brookraft appeared on the pages of the most popular magazines of the time. Among them, in particular, the September issue of Vogue magazine (1945) and the July issue of the monthly magazine “Woman’s Home Companion” (1948).
Most of the company’s products are real masterpieces of jewelry art, which are a vivid example of elegance and style.
Creating jewelry by hand, the company’s craftsmen produced high quality jewelry, with careful attention to detail, which allowed these products to be well preserved to this day. Traditionally, the company’s craftsmen used 925 sterling silver, 12 – 14 K pink and yellow gold, indicating the purity of the metal on the labeling of products. Other materials included art glass imitating natural stones, faux or cultured pearls, Austrian crystals and the highest quality rhinestones. The style of jewelry was very diverse – from the classics of that time to Art Deco and modernist designs. Extremely rare, Brookraft pieces are antiques, highly prized by collectors.
Category Archive: Vintage
Signed Brookraft vintage costume jewelry
Signed BAS antique silver jewelry
The history of the Blachian Antik Schmuck (BAS) silver jewelry trademark began in the Bavarian town of Neuötting, Germany. The full company name is Blachian-Antik-Schmuck u. Bronze-Kunst Franz Eligius Blachian (Neuötting am Inn). Incorporated in the 1930s, the company ceased to exist in the late 1950s.
The company, owned by Franz Eligius Blachian, produced giftware and jewelry in gold and silver. Notably, most of the jewelry designs are based on jewelry from the Biedermeier period (first half of the 18th century). Traditionally, the craftsmen used 585 gold and 925 silver, as well as garnets, pearls, amethyst, and other natural stones. Masterfully and very accurately executed, these mid-century pieces feature great care after historical and antique examples.
Today, high-quality BAS signed antique jewelry is rare and very desirable for collectors of vintage and antique jewelry.
Bluette vintage costume jewelry
Most often, jewelry companies make traditional jewelry – brooches, dress clips, necklaces, bracelets, earrings, rings, pendants, and less often shoe clips. One of most notable costume jewelry companies on production of shoe clips was Bluette, which manufactured shoe clips in the 1970-80s. The history of Bluette costume jewelry trademark began fifty years ago in France. Incorporated in January 1972, Monsieur Robert Bluette company ceased to exist in 2002.
Traditionally, the craftsmen used gold and silver tone metal alloys, leather, enamel, faux pearls, Swarovski crystals and rhinestones. The marking included “Bluette Made in France”. Noteworthy, the marking sometimes include “Nancy Katz”, who designed jewelry for Bluette in the 1970s.
The history of shoe jewelry is part of the history of dresses, shoes and fashion in general. Even minor improvements in the design of shoes will make them one and only of their kind. There is no doubt that shoes decorated with textile or jewelry elements have always been and will be in trend. Just look at the elegant women’s outfits of the Renaissance, or the fashion shows of modern designers.
Traditionally, true shoe decorations are removable. Shoe jewellery with glamorous rhinestones and charms can turn a casual pair into a sophisticated evening option. And to look fashionable, it is not at all necessary to buy several pairs of shoes for different occasions. It is enough to change the decorations, which may include shoe brooches – clips, bracelets for shin boots, heel rings of various designs, materials, colors and shapes.
Signed Barcs vintage costume jewelry
The history of costume jewelry trademark “Barcs” began in the middle of the 20th century in Alexandria, Australia. Founded in 1948, “Barcs & Co Unit Trust” was the wholesale distributor of costume jewelry, watches, clocks, and silverware. Since August 1957, the company’s name was changed to “A. Barcs & Co (Manufacturing) PTY Ltd”. Registered in Lewisham, New South Wales, A. Barcs & Co (Manufacturing) PTY Ltd ceased to exist in 2015. However, the renewed high end costume jewellery company “A Barcs & Co Nominees Pty Ltd”, incorporated in 1982, is still active.
The world’s famous brand, Barcs has a well-deserved reputation for quality, craftsmanship and commitment to classic yet modern fashion jewelry design. Elegant and confident, Barcs strikes the perfect balance of trendy and timeless jewelry, implemented in necklaces, bracelets, clip earrings, rings and brooches.
Traditionally, the marking includes “BARCS” and patent number.
Signed MASJ vintage costume jewelry
Edward Anthony and Maureen Ann Story-Jones founded their family business on manufacture of silver jewellery and related articles thirty-eight years ago in the village of Berriew in Montgomeryshire, Wales. Since 1996 Philip Raymond Marsh Wilson became the new director, and two years later William James Whitty took over the company. The original founders continued working until their retirement. Maureen Ann retired in 2004, and Edward Anthony in 2006.
In addition to jewelry, Edward Anthony and Maureen Ann made various articles, including frames, clocks, pillboxes and vases. The main theme of the Silver Scenes collection was flowers, leaves, dragonflies and butterflies, with the finest details. Cast in pewter, then silver or gold plated, and made mostly until late 1990s, MASJ brooches are highly collectible today. Noteworthy, the marking includes MASJ signed and dated by hand, or MASJ stamp.
Incorporated on 21 May 1984, Silver Scenes Limited jewelry trademark ceased to exist on 12 May 2015.
Adderley Floral vintage costume jewelry
The history of Adderley porcelain brand began in 1905 as a result of merger of two companies – William Alsager Adderley (1876-1905) and Hulse and Adderley (1865-1879). Accordingly, the original labeling included “W A A” or “W A A & Co”. The company went through several renewals and changes of owners. Thus, in 1947, the new owner – Ridgway Potteries continued manufacture of Adderley products without changing the brand’s namer. Later, Adderley received the status of “Royal”, and the labeling changed.
In the postwar period of the 1950-60s, many English firms with rich experience in bone china began to manufacture jewelry. The manufacture of such decorations was taken as seriously as the production of expensive porcelain dishes. Thanks to the thoroughness of the molding, high quality material, and special technology high-temperature firing, these pieces have survived to this day and have not lost their rich color.
Signed GJD vintage costume jewelry
The history of GJD jewelry lasted for a short period of time, a little more than a decade. Incorporated in September 1979, “Ginnie Johansen Designs, Incorporated” ceased to exist in 1986. Located in Dallas, Texas, it was a family business owned by Gerald Charles Johansen (October 23, 1931 – June 20, 2017) and his daughter Ginnie Johansen Donson. The renewed company “Ginnie Johansen Designs Co”, incorporated in 1981, ceased to exist in 1995.
Born in Chicago, Illinois, Gerald “Jerry” Charles Johansen grew up in the family of Norwegian immigrants. He graduated from Northwestern University with a Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts. Jerry married Joan Menefee Johansen, and they had three children. Having moved to Dallas, Texas, he became president of Thuron Industries Inc.
In 1978, Jerry founded a fashion accessories company “Ginnie Johansen Designs”. He successfully ran GJD company for 12 years, and sold his products in 3,000 stores. Jerry retired in 1996 and helped his eldest son Jeffrey Johansen and his second daughter, Jane Crowshaw with various businesses.
Gerald Charles Johansen passed away in 2017, at the age of 86.
Noteworthy, the marking GJD jewelry includes Ginnie Johansen in script, or abbreviation GJD.