Ciro vintage costume jewelry
Ciro vintage costume jewelry (1940-1996)
The history of London jewelry brand Ciro began almost 105 years ago. Incorporated on 23 May 1917, Ciro Pearls Limited was a private company registered at the address 1 Surrey street London WC2R 2NT United Kingdom. On 14 Nov 1928 the company headed by H.M. Penney became known as Cho Realization Limited. However, on 25 Jan 1940 the company changed its address to 9A New Bond street, London, W1Y 9PE and became known as “Ciro of Bond Street Limited”.
Originally a mail order company, Ciro produced and sold cultured pearl costume jewelry. The company opened its first retail stores in the 1920s, while continuing use mail order. Costume jewelry and accessories by Ciro enjoyed success, and the company had to expand the business. Its boutiques appeared one by one in Canada, France, and Germany. According to the United States Patent office, the subsidiary of Ciro of Bond Street, Inc. was registered in New York as Ciro Pearls Ltd. in 1955.
Ciro brand which lasted for more than a century ceased to exist in 1998 hit by the effects of cheap imitation jewellery imported from Asia.