Discovery of California vintage costume jewelry
The history of Discovery Jewelry Company began on July 30, 1975 in California. It was a Domestic Corporation located at 325 M Sharon Park Dr Ste 218, Menlo Park, CA 94025, headed by its president Gail Burke. The company manufactured handcrafted costume jewelry with the use of gold and silver tone metal alloys. Most famous are their pet, heart and musical instrument designs implemented in pins, earrings, pendants, charms and bracelets. Traditionally jewelry was sold on hallmarked cards, with printed on them in gold or silver color “Discovery of California” and a lily flower. Some pieces, however, have the same marking on the reverse.
Discovery Jewelry Company went out of business in 2001, and Gail Burke has registered another company Gail Burke & Associates, Inc. on 13 Aug 2001, which is still active.
Noteworthy, around the same time, there were two Discovery brands for costume jewelry in the United States. In particular, Discovery by Oak Patch Gifts Limited Liability Company (founded in Eugene, Oregon), and Discovery by Empress Pearls, Inc. However, both of these companies are not affiliated with Discovery of California.
Category Archive: Vintage
Discovery of California vintage costume jewelry
Signed FAF vintage costume jewelry
The history of Canadian jewelry trademark “FAF” began in August 1987. Based in 4710 Rue Saint-Ambroise, Montreal, Québec, jewelry company “Le Groupe Fafard-Goualt Inc”. was active for five years. According to sources, Diane Fafard worked in partnership with Alain Goualt, and their company worked until 1990. A few years later Diane Fafard (born in 1951) founded “FAF Design” in 1993. Already in 1997 she became the finalist of the 1997 Quebec Golden Designer Jewelry Award. “FAF Design” ceased to exist in 2013.
Traditionally, the designer hand crafted pins, earrings, brooches and necklaces using fine pewter and 18k gold plating. Also, she signed her jewelry pieces with “FAF” in stylized script on reverse.
Noteworthy, located in Greenville, Rhode Island another jewelry company “F.A.F. Inc” also marked its jewelry pieces with FAF (in capital letters). Founded in 1981 company is still active.
Vintage GG Harris fine pewter jewelry
The history of the Harris family business began in 1983, when a young 27-year-old truck driver George G. Harris created his first pewter trout pin. According to the designer, from that moment on, he could no longer stop. With his education in biology and his natural talent as an artist, his lifelike and anatomically correct lapel pins became popular in his native New Jersey and throughout the United States.
George Harris became involved in the design, marketing and sales of his products. Handcrafted with exquisite craftsmanship, his vintage pieces from the Wildlife collection have become highly collectible.
Noteworthy, Harris has created more than 2,500 designs depicting dog breeds, birds, wild and domestic animals, embodied in pewter keychains, lapel pins, earrings and much more.
His shop, located in Manalapan, New Jersey, where Harris works with his brother Jim and a team of craftsmen, is still in operation.
Traditionally made from fine pewter, his jewelry is labeled Harris, in addition to the year of manufacture and the name of the animal or collection.
Doreen Ryan vintage costume jewelry
Located in Warwick, Rhode Island, Doreen Ryan Company Inc was active for a decade, from 30 Jan 1996 until 7 Oct 2002. The company produced high quality pieces inspired by animal world and nature, with a modernist touch. However, Doreen Ryan began creating jewelry long before 1990s, when she collaborated with Mr DeLizza. According to his memories, with his help she became major supplier of belts and jewelry to the industry. Also, in the 199s, she was designing under the name “Laiasia”. Traditionally, the designer marked her pieces with full name Doreen Ryan, or DR with a copyright sign. Now collectible vintage, her gold tone animal design belts and pins are truly pieces of art.
Ecco signed vintage costume jewelry
One of the oldest Canadian jewelry brands, ECCO, also known as The Electric Chain Company Ltd, was active for four decades from 1915 to 1950. According to some sources, the Ontario based company operated until the 1970s. Traditionally, the company’s craftsmen created beautiful jewelry by hand using sterling silver, rhodium and 10 carat gold plating. The markings on the back include “ECCO STER”, or “ECCO GF” stamp. Rare and highly collectible Ecco
Noteworthy, Scarborough, Toronto based “Rembrandt Jewelry Manufacturing Limited” registered the similar jewelry trademark “Ecco” on September 1, 1969. However, the years of operation of the company and the style of labeling of products of this company are different. By the way, “Ecco” has the meaning Look or Behold in the Italian language. The trademark ceased to exist in 1990, according to the United State Patent & Trademark Office.
Finn Jensen vintage costume jewelry
Created by Norwegian designer Finn Jensen jewelry can be divided into two groups – enameled costume jewelry and Solje. A traditional sterling silver wedding brooch, Solje design included many concave teardrop or disks dangles for movement and reflection. Solje means “shiny” or “sunny”, which is depicted in the reflections from the teardrops.
However, the master became known all over the world for his high-quality jewelry with guilloché translucent enamel of cobalt blue, silver-white, red and green colors.
Jensen was a student of J. Tostrup, officially licensed as a goldsmith in 1941. In partnership with Knut Aamodt, he took over the workshop of Martin Lande in Oslo (1944) and renamed the company to Jensen & Aamodt. Finally, in 1953, he became the sole owner of his company “Finn Jensen” and an independent manufacturer of guilloché enamel jewelry. His pins, bracelets, earrings and necklaces included nature inspired and abstract designs. Traditionally, Jensen marked each decoration with “Norway Sterling 925S” and triangle (his personal stamp).
Noteworthy, located in Oslo, his workshop continued to create jewelry after his death in 1976.
Scottish jewelry designer Ola Gorie
Born 27 October 1937 in Scotland, Ola Gorey is one of the most famous and award-winning British jewelry designers. Her work has influenced the modern generation of jewelry designers. She blends love of tradition with a taste for true originality.
After graduating from Gray’s School of Art in Aberdeen, she qualified as a goldsmith. Inspired by Celtic arts and crafts, as well as Norwegian heritage, she began creating unique jewelry designs in the 1960s. Her early pieces quickly gained popularity at home and abroad, and her name became synonymous with stylish, finely crafted jewelry.
Traditionally, the designer used sterling silver and 9-carat gold plating. Jewelry markings from 1963 to the 1990s included OMG (Ola Marie Gorie), also OG and “ST.SIL” (sterling silver).
In the 1990s, her company located at 11 Broad Street, Kirkwall, Orkney, employed 55 silversmiths who handcrafted high-quality artisan jewelry. Gori retired in 1997, and her daughter, textile designer Ingrid Tate, took over the business.
Created by renowned Scottish designer Olga Gorie wearable art pieces are collectible vintage.