Carl Art vintage costume jewelry
Providence, Rhode Island based jewelry company Carl Art Inc. was founded by two partners – Carl Schraysshuen and Arthur Loercher. Founded in 1936, the company ceased to exist in 1976. A native of Germany, Carl was a hero of the First World War, and was seriously injured. He was a very honest, reliable and pedantic person. It was Carl who invented the very popular twist-o-flex technology for bracelets that is still used today. However, the patent for the invention belongs to Speidel company, where he worked after moving to the United States. Not receiving a penny for the invention, he and his American friend Arthur opened their own jewelry workshop, moreover, next to the Speidel building.
The German emigrant Carl was very tall and large, and the American businessman Arthur was short, but there was complete harmony and mutual understanding between them. Traditionally, they handcrafted floral design jewelry from gold, silver with gold plating, and also used semi-precious stones. Making jewelry under their own brand, they marked them with an arrow through CA, and 1/20 12K G.F., or sterling. Noteworthy, Carl Art Inc. created jewelry for other companies as well.
After Carl’s death in 1953, Arthur sold half of the company.
Characterized by integrity and purity of design, timeless and rare, Carl-Art jewelry is highly collectible.
Category Archive: Vintage
Carl Art vintage costume jewelry
Mr. John vintage costume jewelry
The history of the company Mr. John Inc. began in New York in 1948 and ended exactly forty years later, in 1988. Born John Pico Harberger on March 14, 1902 in Munich, the son of a dressmaker, he received a versatile education, however, not related to jewelry or fashion design. As a teenager, he studied medicine at the University of Lucerne, Germany, and then studied art at the Sorbonne, France. At the age of 17, he immigrated to the United States with his mother. Madame Laurel taught her son a lot and actually introduced him to the world of fashion. The undoubted talent of an artist and designer, exquisite taste and craftsmanship allowed him to found his own company for the production of hats “Mr. John, Inc.”, New York, in 1948. Noteworthy, helping his mother, he made hats decorated with jewels long before the official registration of his own company.
Originally, brooches and pins with a shimmery brilliance were part of the hat design. Also, Mr. John made men’s cufflinks from metal alloy, silver and gold. Traditionally, the stylized markings “Mr. John” and “Sterling” were on the clasp of such cufflinks. Traditionally unmarked, his superbly crafted costume jewelry had original paper tags and was sold in boxes. Today, these jewelry pieces are extremely rare and have a high collection value.
The company ceased to exist in 1989, and John P. John died on 25 June 1993 in his apartment in Manhattan.
L’Oreal Paris vintage costume jewelry
Founded in 1909, a perfume and cosmetics company L’Oréal is a world leader in the beauty industry. L’Oreal bijouterie appeared in the 1970s, when the company was headed by the founder’s daughter, Liliane Bettencourt. Having taken over the company at the age of 35, thanks to her business intuition, she provided the company with the world leadership in the cosmetics market. One of the most influential women in the world, philanthropist and socialite, Liliane was a jewelry lover herself.
In fact, most big perfume and cosmetics companies created costume jewelry. The trend of cosmetic companies to create costume jewelry appeared in the middle of 20th century. Perhaps, thanks to the fashion icon Coco Chanel, who convinced the women that bijouterie was more important than expensive jewelry. Traditionally, advertising posters for branded cosmetics include jewelry with the brand’s logos. This idea became especially popular in the 1970s, when the brand’s decorations shone along with cosmetics sold in brand boutiques. Undoubtedly, regular customers were happy to receive a branded lapel pin or a badge as a bonus.
Many jewelry designers collaborated with L’Oreal, and one of them was Arthur Bertrand. Noteworthy, L’Oreal had its own jewelry companies, advertising the brand, among more than two thousand trademarks registered by L’Oreal. In particular, “Color of Hope” jewelry trademark (from 2005 to 2012), and “Azzaro” (from 2014).
Signed Cereve vintage costume jewelry
The 1980s were an exciting era and a boom in haute couture jewelry, reflecting the individual taste and style of its owner. Excessiveness was typical for clothes, hairstyles, and makeup of the 80s. It expressed itself in everything: bright cosmetics, voluminous hairstyles, and of course, jewelry. Women expressed images of wealth and success with haute couture statement gold tone jewelry. In addition, French jewelry was an indispensable part of the fashion shows of the most famous French designers, such as Christian Dior, Christian Lacroix, Yves Saint Laurent and others. Many jewelers of that time worked for fashion designers, creating jewelry under their name. However, there were also jewelers who labeled products under their own name or under the name of the boutique where they sold their works.
Parisian workshop Cereve created jewelry for no more than two decades, in the 1970s and 1980s. Sold on the original black velvet card “Cereve Bijoux France”, each piece had Cereve marking. The masters of this brand mainly made massive Etruscan-style earrings using Gripoix glass and “crumpled gold”. Handcrafted in limited editions, each piece is unique, and even the earrings in the same pair are slightly different.
By the way, Ce rêve means “that dream” in English.
Signed Angel vintage costume jewelry
Registered in 1989, the American jewelry trademark “Angel Jewelry” existed until 1999. It was a family owned business by Martha M. Powers located at Woodtrail Drive, Columbia, South Carolina. Handcrafted with high craftsmanship and quality materials, the products of this company are very rare.
Traditionally, the designer used gold-tone metal alloy, gilding, multi-colored enamels, rhinestones and crystals. Made in a classic style, this brand’s costume jewelry includes a variety of figurative designs in the form of bows, flowers, berries, animals and plants. The markings on the back of each piece include the word Angel in stylized letters on a round cartouche.
Noteworthy, Martha M. Powers owned three jewelry trademarks. In particular, Guardian Angel (1985-1999), Angel (1991-1993), and Angel Jewelry (1989-1999).
Signed Camco vintage costume jewelry
The history of costume jewelry trademark “Camco” began in 1930 in Providence, Rhode Island. The trademark belongs to family owned company Cathedral Art Metal Co., Inc, founded in 1920 in Providence, Rhode Island.
For its one hundred years of activity, the company, along with Camco, has registered various jewelry trademarks. In particular, Jesus 2000 (1997), Motif, Cathedral Art (1999), God Answers Knee Mail, Heart Menders, Snow Angels, Knee Mail, Sterling Treasures, Arrive Alive! Don’t Text And Drive!, Boston Strong, Pray It Forward, Barefoot & Preppy, and CA Gift.
Traditionally, Camco-labeled jewelry includes holiday and religious designs – Christmas, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving, and other holiday ornaments. Mostly lapel pins and charms, their designs include hearts, Angels, cherubs and cupids, winged humans or animals with halos, etc. Made of metal alloys of gold and silver tone and pewter, with the use of rhinestones and enamel, these items could be a nice holiday gift.
Noteworthy, the company is still active and produces beautiful key rings, charms, crosses, medallions, ornaments, figurines, decorative mirrors, frames of precious metal, and more.
Louis Rousselet vintage costume jewelry
The history of French jewelry brand owned by Louis Rousselet (1892-1980) began in 1922 a Parisian suburb of Menilmontant. Born in Paris, eight-year old Louis joined Monsieur Rousseau’s apprenticeship, where he had mastered the bead making technique for several years. Having started the production of glass and Galalith beads, he made magnificent pearls imitating natural ones, using a special technology. The basis of such pearls was glass beads covered with d’Orient essence, a composition of fish scales. Handcrafted and meticulously polished, these beads in a wide variety of colors and styles allowed the designer to create exquisite brooches, earrings, sautoirs, pendants and necklaces. Within three years, Louis was able to expand the business, hiring about 800 workers and successfully selling his beads all over the world.
Moreover, his high quality beads have become material for other designers around the world. Success was not long in coming. Many stars of that time acquired his brilliant jewelry. In particular, famous dancer and jewelry lover Josephine Baker. Casino de Paris and Moulin Rouge, as well as clients of such couturiers as Chanel, Pierre Balmain and Robert Piquet admired Louis Rousselet jewelry art.
In 1943, Luis’s daughter Denise joined the family business, and even opened her own store “Jeanne Danjou” (named after her mother). Creating her own unique collections, she established herself as a talented designer. When Louis retired in 1965, she took over the business. Her son also worked in the company. Noteworthy, she stopped producing pearls, but continued to produce glass beads until the last skilled worker retired. The company ceased to exist in 1975.
Traditionally unmarked, most jewelry pieces were accompanied with hallmarked paper tags. However, some items were marked “Made in France” or the initials LR, for example on the clasp.