Kelly Waters vintage costume jewelry
The history of unique costume jewelry brand hallmarked Kelly Waters began almost sixty years ago. Registered at 5 Clementine Park Boston, Massachusetts, Kelly Waters, Inc. was the family business of John F. Waters and Frances Kelly.
Due to the high quality of workmanship, one-of-a-kind design (often geometric), a variety of styles from Art Deco to modernism, their jewelry has become world famous. Traditionally, craftsmen used a variety of materials – metal alloys, pewter, gold, silver, enamel, semi-precious stones, art glass and crystals. Noteworthy, early jewelry markings include “Kelly Waters”, the company’s full name, and the stylized KW letters and copyright mark have been added since the 1990s.
Kelly Waters, Inc. ceased to exist in 2005 following the death of its founder and President, John F. Waters in 2004. However, after a short break, the family business was revived thanks to the three sons of John and Frances – Kevin, John F. Jr. and Edward. Frances Waters died in Dorchester in 2020, but her sons continue to successfully maintain high jewelry manufacturing standards.
Category Archive: Vintage
Kelly Waters vintage costume jewelry
Claire Garnett vintage costume jewelry
The story of English costume jewelry brand “CG” is the success story of a woman born in 1945 in Iran. 15-year-old Claire Sonya Garnett and her family moved to England in 1960. Already three years later, she became a media personality appearing on television and in cinema as a talented oriental dancer. In addition, Claire was interested in jewelry design, which led her to open her first jewelry and perfume shop in London in 1965, and second shop in 1970. The autobiographical book “The Dancer: A remarkable journey” (published in 2018 by Alan and Claire) tells a story about her amazing life.
Marked CG, or Claire Garnett, and sold in branded gift boxes, many pieces were also made in Italy. Traditionally, the designer used metal alloys of gold and silver tone, pewter, gold plating, faux pearls, crystals and semi-precious stones, such as agate.
Registered in 1981 in Nottingham, England, Garnett Ltd jewelry company ceased to exist in 2016. Since 2013, the Garnetts have been happily living at Audley Binswood luxury retirement village in the heart of Leamington Spa.
Turin Inc vintage costume jewelry
The brief history of the New York-based Turin jewelry company began in the late 1950s and ended in the 1960s.
According to the official newspaper of the US Patent Office, Turin Inc Jewelry Ltd registered a trademark for the production of gold jewelry on April 16, 1963. Noteworthy, the trademark Turin Inc was first used in 1959. Most likely, the founder of the company was an Italian jeweler who named the company after the city of Turin, located in northern Italy. In the 1960s, entire dynasties of Italian jewelers worked in New York, as well as in Providence, and their contribution to the development of the US jewelry industry is enormous.
Traditionally, the craftsmen used 12 K gold, sterling silver, cultured pearls and rhinestones. The brand’s handcrafted jewelry features a traditional classic design, including flower and leaf brooches, circle pins and clip-on earrings. The word mark on an oval base consists of the stylized “Turin Inc” with an elongated “T” and 12KtGF without a copyright mark.
Signed Seagull vintage pewter jewelry
The history of Canadian jewelry trademark Seagull began in a farmhouse on Rabbittown Road in Pugwash, Nova Scotia, in 1978. In fact, the history of this company is a success story, when a small family business became famous not only in Canada but all over the world. The small company with three employees, founded by Jonathan and Bonnie Bond, already employed over 400 people in the late 1990s, with sales in America and Europe, Asia and Australia.
Initially, the company produced a variety of products, from picture frames and kitchen utensils, Christmas tree decorations and candlesticks, to jewelry. Traditionally handcrafted from a pewter, each piece is often marked with a year of manufacture along with the company label.
In fact, Jonathan and Bonnie Bond registered four trademarks for the production of jewelry and pewter products. In particular, “Seagull Pewter And Silversmiths Limited” (1979), “Jonathan Bond Fine Gifts Incorporated” (1985), “Seagull Pewter Inc” (1987, renamed to “The Seagull Company Incorporated”), and Seagull Fine Pewter (2001).
Noteworthy, since 2003, the company has become part of Royal Selangor, a pewter company based in Malaysia.
As for Jonathan and Bonnie Bond, they have been co-owners of Basic Spirit Inc. on production of silver and pewter goods and jewelry since 2003. Besides, they are true philanthropists who invest in charitable activities around the world. Also, the couple has been involved with the Nature Conservancy of Canada as donors and volunteers since 1980s.
Ted Lapidus vintage costume jewelry
Born into a family of Russian-Jewish immigrants, Edmond Lapidus (23 June 1929 – 29 December 2008) is the renowned French perfumer and legendary fashion designer. The son of a tailor, he joined the fashion world from childhood. Although after graduation he studied at the Technical College of Japan, and then at the Faculty of Medicine in Paris, but soon changed his mind.
Ted began his tailoring career at Christian Dior’s fashion house. With the support of his friend Charles Aznavour, and the family of his brother Bernard, he opened an atelier under his own name in 1951. A member of the Parisian haute couture syndicate since 1963, he collaborated with major department stores, supplying collections of dresses, suits, bags and accessories under his own name.
However, his greatest success as a perfumer was when he launched the first fragrance under his own name with L’Oréal in 1970.
Noteworthy, the designer’s costume jewelry was an addition not only to his costumes and dresses, but also to perfumes. Officially registered in 1975, the Ted Lapidus jewelry brand was established in late 1960s. Ted created costume jewelry designs until the 1990, even after he transferred the family business to his son Olivier in 1982.
The designer died a year before his 80th birthday. On the day of his departure, France mourned. Even Nicolas Sarkozy in his speech could not adhere to protocol and stated that “Lapidus was a true poet of French fashion, one who democratized French elegance and classicism and made fashion accessible to men and women on the street.”
Vintage silver jewelry signed Citlali
The history of handcrafted jewelry made by the Mexican studio-workshop Citlali began in 1968 in Guadalajara. Its founder is a hereditary silversmith Francisco Sanchez Sahagun. The small family business not only survived the Mexican silver crisis of the 1970s, but also became widely known outside Guadalajara. This became possible thanks to the highly artistic, original and time-consuming designs that Francisco embodied in his jewelry.
Already in the mid-1980s, Citlali (the word means “Star”) began to appear at international jewelry exhibitions and boutiques in Europe. As a result, his collections recieved many prestigious design awards.
Since 2010, Francisco has been collaborating with the Madrid fashion house L’atelier de Minerva. Francisco Sanchez Sahagun now runs the family-owned company Citlali with his daughter Rosana Sánchez, a certified jewelry designer.
The history of antique jewelry brand K & L began in 1884 in the jewelry capital in southwest Germany, the city of Pforzheim. Kordes & Lichtenfels manufactured high quality pieces which have become highly collectible and sought after.
Traditionally, the craftsmen used the term “Amerikaner” for gold filled. In fact, ‘Amerikaner’ refers to a technique of heavy gold plating and it was more durable than existing gold plating techniques. So, Amerikaner means gold rolled jewelry. Noteworthy, at the beginning of the 20th century the company moved to Providence, Rhode Island and became known as Speidel Company. That’s why some pieces signed “Amerikaner” sometimes have marking SP for Speidel, or K&L for Kordes & Lichtenfels GmbH & Co. KG.
The K & L jewelry trademark registered in 1963 and owned by Kordes & Lichtenfels GmbH & Co. KG, ceased to exist in 2004.