German Art Deco Theodore Fahrner jewellery
Theodore Fahrner jewellery
Founded in Pforzheim, Germany, in 1855 and run since 1883 by Theodore Fahrner Jr., the jewelry company “Fahrner” was one of the most prosperous in Europe. In 1919, after the death of Theodore Fahrner Jr., Gustave Brandel bought this company. Renamed “Gustave Brandel – Theodore Fahrner Nackf”, the company successfully led the market until the 1950s. Unfortunately, the company ceased to exist 1979. Thus, the company has successfully existed for more than a century, from 1855 to 1979.
In fact, until the mid-1920’s Fahrner was more famous for art nouveau, “Arts and Craft” and Celtic motifs jewelry. Noteworthy, the outstanding masters of that time became designers of many of the ornaments of the Fahrner. Besides, the products were produced in limited quantities and exported through other companies, such as, “Murel Bennett and Co..”
Fahrner gained fame and popularity thanks to products of unusual geometric forms, associated with the era of jazz and the movement of art deco.
Although Fahrner believed that the real value of the work is determined by its artistic quality, rather than the cost of materials, the company often encrusted jewelry with semiprecious stones and pearls. Of course, this reflected in the prices. In addition, the presence of the brand of Fahrner on the product could increase its cost by 75%.