Signed LS Louis Stern vintage costume jewelry
Louis Stern vintage costume jewelry
The history of the company began in 1867 when three sons of German Jewish immigrants – Isaac, Louis and Benjamin Stern founded корпорацию Stern’s, or Stern Brothers. Initially, they sold dry goods in Buffalo, New York, gradually becoming an important merchandising family in New York City. In 1868 they moved to New York and opened a store on Sixth Avenue, 367. The whole family worked in this elegant shop, known for its fashionable goods. Ladies from all over New York came here in search of clothes and accessories of Parisian fashions brought by brothers from Europe. This company was distinguished from the others by its elegant gatekeepers in top hats and the generous and friendly service by the owners personally. Later, their business developed until the 60s of the last century.
Meanwhile, Louis Stern, one of the Stern’s brands, began operations in 1871. The company produced silver and bijouterie jewelry until the 1950s. Focusing on elegance and quality, particular attention was paid to the quality of the gold plating of jewelry. The jewelry marking included the symbol L-S Co, 1/20 10 K GF (gold filled). Undoubtedly, all Stern jewelry is a rare vintage of collectible value. Although Louis Stern himself, the founder of the jewelry company, died in 1922 (in Paris, while visiting his daughter), the latest jewelry marked with drugs date back to the 1950s.
Although Allied Stores Corporation bought Stern company in the 1950s, the Stern brand existed until the 1990s. Thus, the New York Post published an article entitled “STERN’S SHUTTING ITS DOORS FOREVER” on February 9, 2001. “134-year-old Stern’s, the third major chain to collapse since Christmas”, converting most of malls to Macy’s, and two to bloomingdale’s.