Robert Fitz Simmons vintage costume jewelry
Robert Fitz Simmons vintage costume jewelry (1873-1952)
The history of Simmons jewelry dates back to 1873, when Robert Fitz Simmons, with his partners Joseph Lyman Sweet and Edgar L. Hixon, founded jewelry company in Attleboro, Massachusetts. Each of them invested $ 2,500 in the business, which then paid off. Fourteen years later, the company employed 200 people, and its offices and representatives appeared in New York, Berlin, Barcelona, Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires, Montevideo, and Sydney.
Initially, the company produced watch chains, eyeglass chains, key chains, bracelets, and even cane handles. Noteworthy, the company became the first jewelry house to publish a catalog (1881). Innovative jewelers, they were the first to stamp products with manufacturer ID and offer customers a quality assurance (1880s). They were also the first to use “combination – link chains” (1890s) and the practical Marlow lock bracelet in 1899.
Fine quality, gold-filled or sterling silver jewelry by Simmons is highly collectible now.
The RF Simmons Co founded by Robert Fitz Simmons (1842, New York – 1894, Attleboro MA) ceased to exist in 1952.