Kaleidoscope effect

Jewellery kaleidoscope

Ms Dee vintage costume jewelry

Ms Dee vintage costume jewelry

Christmas tree pewter brooch. 4.5 cm. 1980s. Ms Dee vintage costume jewelry

Ms Dee vintage costume jewelry (1982-2013)
Incorporated in 1974 in Mound, Minnesota, Ms. Dee Inc. began its activity in 1970. Headed by Ms Deanne Moss (b. 1944), the company launched four trademarks on production of various goods. In particular, lace and embroidery, buttons and needles, artificial flowers and ribbons, hair accessories and costume jewelry. Among these trademarks were “Fame Tapes”, “Molly ‘n Me”, and “Ms. Dee”, all registered in 1982.
The company’s craftsmen created beautiful finely detailed multi-functional trinket boxes, sets of brooches with earrings made by hand with the use of genuine pewter. The marking on the cartouche included “Ms.Dee” with a copyright sign, sometimes “genuine pewter” and “collectable #1”, etc. Most jewelry ornaments made in 1980-90s have become highly collectible today.
Due to the bankruptcy, the company ceased to exist in 2013.
Read more »

Signed Mali vintage costume jewelry

Signed Mali vintage costume jewelry

Whimsical cat with mouse pewter brooch. 1990s. Signed Mali vintage costume jewelry

Signed Mali vintage costume jewelry (1985-2003)
The history of the MALI jewelry brand began in 1985 in Wilmington, Delaware and lasted a little more than a decade. The characteristic design of Mali jewelry includes funny farm animals – whimsical cats, pigs, cows, horses, dogs and penguins. A small team of jewelers handcrafted brooches, pins, keychains and earrings with the use of pewter and silver. The labeling on raised cartouche includes the word “Mali” in capital printed letters with copyright mark. Also, some pieces include the year of manufacture, and mostly 1990s.
According to the information printed on tags, Mali made jewelry for Alexis Reed (owned by the Bon-Ton Trade Corp., 1995-2003, Wilmington, Delaware).
Noteworthy, there was an eponymous jewelry trademark owned by Mali LLC, registered in 2003 in Los Angeles, California (chief designer Molly K Sabatasso), which ceased to exist in 2013.
Read more »

Christine Escher fine jewelry

Topaz ebony wood diamond ring. Christine Escher fine jewelry

Topaz ebony wood diamond ring. Christine Escher fine jewelry

Christine Escher fine jewelry
The history of the French jewelry brand “Christine Escher” began in 1989 in Meudon, the southwestern suburbs of Paris. Before launching the eponymous jewelry brand, Christine Escher worked as the creative director for “La Joaillerie Récréativein” (Recreational Jewelry) and created jewelry since 1985. In addition, she studied gemology and drawing. According to the designer, she made her first collections for well-known Parisian jewelry houses. The talented jewelry designer, Christine Escher won the “International De Beers Diamond award” in 1998 for a “Meridienne” ebony inlaid with diamonds ring.
In 2012, her daughter Claire joined the family business and brought a new look on jewelry design. Noteworthy, the emblem of the company is a starfish, and most designs are inspired by the marine world. Creating exquisite engagement rings, necklaces and earrings, the designers traditionally use precious metals, ebony wood and various precious and semi-precious stones. Among them – diamonds, sapphires, ruby, carnelian, citrine, quartz, topaz, peridot, moonstone, tsavorite, etc.
The maker’s mark may include initials CE, or Escher, PR, and starfish logo.
Read more »

Rondette vintage fine jewelry

Rondette vintage fine jewelry

Diamond shape leaf pattern frame cameo brooch. 14 K gold, diamonds, back felt. 1960s. Rondette vintage fine jewelry

Rondette vintage fine jewelry (1959-1986)
The history of the American jewelry brand Rondette began in 1954 in New York. Rondette Limited, founded by talented jewelry designer Ben Khalaf, was located at 20 West 47th Street, New York, New York.
Ben Khalaf and his small team of designers produced high-quality jewelry using precious metals and stones – 14 and 18 carat gold, sapphires, emeralds, rubies and diamonds. Beautifully and meticulously handcrafted, Rondette jewelry occasionally appeared in the pages of fashion magazines of the time. According the some of their ads, the company sold its jewelry in boutiques in Miami, Sutton Ballroom New York, Anatole hotel Dallas and others.
The markings traditionally include the word “Rondette”, a stylized “R”, a copyright symbol, and gold purity.
Inspired by ancient Egypt and Greek mythology, Rondette jewelry is extremely rare and highly collectible.
Founded in 1959, Rondette LTD. ceased to exist in 1986.
Read more »

Signed AS vintage costume jewelry

Signed AS vintage costume jewelry

Glitter enamel rhinestones gold tone Christmas tree brooch. Signed AS vintage costume jewelry

Signed AS vintage costume jewelry (1974-1998)
Many traditional costume jewelry companies launched additional holiday jewelry lines or trademarks during the 1970-80s, with Christmas tree pins being a big seller. The trend continued into the early 1990s.

A jewelry workshop for the production of costume jewelry, and in particular with a Christmas and Halloween theme, existed in California from 1974 until late 1990s. Handcrafting holiday pins, a small team of jewelers used gold and silver tone metal alloys, pewter, glitter enamels, rhinestones and Aurora Borealis crystals.

About the maker’s mark. There is a slight confusion with the marking. Some mistakenly read it as “ASO”. Actually, the marking on oval cartouche includes the initials “A.S.” and a copyright sign, or a stylized notation for the word “company”. Sold on holiday cards, some pins have the designation of the place of manufacture – “Made in CA”.
Read more »

Signed BDA vintage costume jewelry

Signed BDA vintage costume jewelry

Carved carnelian cameo 10 K gold pendant. 1950s. Signed BDA vintage costume jewelry

Signed BDA vintage costume jewelry (1943-1986)
The history of the BDA jewelry brand began in Providence, Rhode Island, founded by three partners in 1943. Among them, in particular, Frank Rhodes Budlong (1889-1956), Edgar Milton Docherty (born August 8, 1883, Canada), and George A. Armstrong (b. in Cranston, RI).
Founded in 1905, Budlong, Docherty & Armstrong, Inc. was formerly known as William C. Greene Co., the oldest jewelry firm in Providence, founded in 1849 by William C. Greene.
Renamed Budlong, Docherty & Armstrong Inc. in 1905, the company continued the glorious traditions of its predecessor.
BDA President Frank Rhodes Budlong (born July 22, 1889 in Cranston) was a hereditary jeweler whose father, Robert, owned the S.K. Merrill in Providence. After graduating from college, Frank began his career as a gem dealer for H. Nordlinger’s Sons. In 1905, he joined his father’s business as New York office manager of S.K. Merrill. Aged 26 he became the president of Budlong, Docherty & Armstrong, Inc., and Edgar Milton Docherty became the company’s secretary and treasurer.
Extremely rare and highly collectible, BDA classic designs most often include cameo brooches, pendants and rings made of handcarved carnelian or shell. The company’s craftsmen made high quality pieces with the use of 10 K gold, silver, pewter, cultured pearls, natural gems, as well as precious stones – sapphire, opals and emeralds.
Read more »

Ed Wiener modernist silver jewelry

Ed Wiener modernist silver jewelry

Inspired by American modern dancer and choreographer Martha Graham (May 11, 1894 – April 1, 1991) sterling silver brooch. 1950s. Ed Wiener modernist silver jewelry

Ed Wiener modernist silver jewelry
A self-taught jeweler, Ed Wiener (1918-1991) became one of the most famous modernist jewelry artists of his day, with a great understanding of form, line and color. According to Wiener himself, his designs from the late 1940s and 50s could be compared to jazz improvisation.
Born in New York in 1918, he worked in his father’s butcher’s shop before the war, then in a radio assembly shop, where he discovered his aptitude for manual labor.
The designer married like-minded woman Doris in 1944. He and his wife studied crafts at Columbia University for three months. Noteworthy, it was there that they made pins with the names and initials of their friends from twisted wire. The pins were so good that Ed and Doris immediately sold them.
In July 1945 they went to Provincetown, where in the summer of 1946 they opened a small shop and sold Mexican jewelry, bags, belts, as well as their own creations. The designer learned a lot from the artists who frequented his shop. They made him feel like he was doing something important.
Wiener admired the work of Calder and Georg Jensen, which disregarded the traditions of jewelry. He also admired the sculptural forms of Picasso, which he easily embodied into silver jewelry.
Read more »