Lederer vintage costume jewelry
S & B Lederer vintage costume jewelry
The history of Sigmund and Benedict B. Lederer began in Providence in 1870s. Initially, the company’s name was Seery & Lederer, (Edward Seery and Sigmund Lederer) located at 117 Summer Street, 1875. The earliest mention of S & B Lederer was in 1884 ads as “Manufacturers of Fire Gilt, Nickel, Fine Electro and Silver Plated Chains”. Noteworthy, in 1907, the new owner of “Lederer”, Providence Stock Company became his nephew George T. Lederer (1880 – 1977).
Bom in Chicago, Illinois, he was the son of the late Elias Joachim Lederer. George owned the company until his retirement in 1950. Located in the S & B Lederer Building at 100 Stewart Street in Providence, the company manufactured rolled plate chains, silver novelties, chain bracelets, gold scarf pins and brooches. Also, the company made gold plated lockets with etched designs in Victorian and Art Nouveau style. Traditionally, the craftsmen used metal alloys, 14 K gold, rhinestones, and signed their pieces. The marking included “S & B L Co.” Pat. and sometimes five-pointed star, or/and “Veribest” on oval cartouche, depending on design. High quality handmade jewelry by this company is very rare and highly collectible.
Another jewelry firm, which worked at the same time in Providence was “Henry Lederer and Brothers, Incorporated”. Undoubtedly, both companies are related by family ties. Registered on May 10, 1904, the company ceased to exist in 1948. It was a family business of three brothers Adolph, Henry, and Edward B. Lederer, the sons of Benedict Lederer, born in New York City in 1897. The company’s craftsmen marked their pieces with “HL & Bro” in capital letters.
Henry Lederer died in 1917 and Adolph in 1922. Twenty-year-old Alphonse became its president, treasurer, and secretary. He died suddenly in 1946. Then, Brier Manufacturing Company acquired the company (1948) and renamed it to Reibling-Lewis.