Celine Paris vintage costume jewelry
Celine Paris vintage costume jewelry (1973-1997)
Costume jewellery trademark “Céline Paris” belongs to the French ready-to-wear brand Céline, founded in 1945. It was originally the family business of Celine Vipiana (1915–1997) and her husband Richard, who opened their children’s shoe boutique at 52 rue Malta in Paris. The brand’s first logo was the red elephant (designed by Raymond Payne), which would later appear in Celine brooches, charms, earrings and bracelets.
Successfully developing and expanding its business, the company established itself in 1960 as a fashion brand of ready-to-wear and leather goods. In the 1970s, the company opened its fashion boutiques, perfumes and accessories throughout France and abroad, gaining worldwide fame.
Traditionally, the emergence of new fragrances was accompanied by the release of advertising jewelry, in particular, perfume lockets, charms and pendants. Noteworthy, the production of jewelry coincided with the appearance of the new company logo in 1973. The new symbols, the intertwined “C” Sulky canvas, linked to the Arc-de-Triomphe, are often found in Celine’s jewelry. Very often, Celine’s jewelry designs include symbols of Paris and France. In particular, the Eiffel Tower, French flag, horse-drawn carriage, etc.
It is important to note that Celine Vipiana ran the company and was its designer until her death in 1997. Vintage jewelry created during this period is highly collectible.