Il Etait Une Fois vintage costume jewelry
French jewelry designer Didier Thebaud began making costume jewelry in 1978, and founded his family company Ca Commence Comme Ca in 1994. Originally, the designed signed his jewelry pieces with his full name Didier Thebaud. However, since 1990s, when his son joined the family business, he changed marking to “Il Etait Une Fois”, which means “Once upon a time”.
Traditionally, the designer used various materials – pewter alloy, silver, brass, bronze, copper, and gold. Made by hand, his collections changed every 6 months showing varied styles and designs – from ethnic to modern, minimalist to geometric. The company sold its products in costume jewelry stores in France and throughout Europe.
The company residing at 1 rue de la Porte de Chartres, 28 320 Gallardon ceased to exist in 2019.
Category Archive: Vintage
Il Etait Une Fois vintage costume jewelry
Ines De La Fressange vintage costume jewelry
According to these designs, oak and only oak is worthy of admiration and artistic expression in brooches, earrings and bracelets. At the same time, these pieces amaze with variety of designs and the talent of their creator.
Meanwhile, the symbolic meaning of the oak in the mythology of the peoples of the world is extremely wide. In particular, longevity, splendor and power, fertility, vitality, fortitude, the origin of the great from the small, the sacred axis of the world, and heavenly gates.
Born on August 11, 1957 in France, Ines De La Fressange grew up in a wealthy aristocratic family, and began her modeling career at the age of 17. Already at the age of 18, she was on the cover of Elle, having become a style icon for many years. Karl Lagerfeld himself noted her beauty and resemblance to Coco Chanel. Indeed, she was the face of Chanel haute couture house for six years.
After the end of her modeling career, she created her own brand “Inès de la Fressange SA” and registered seven trademarks. In addition, she opened a boutique selling luxury goods, ready-to-wear, perfumes and designed by her costume jewelry.
Produced for no more than a decade, from 1991 to 2001, these gold tone decorations have become collectibles. Noteworthy, alongside with the initials “IF” the back side of each decoration, the marking often include number.
Wells vintage costume jewelry
The history of Wells, Inc., a jewelry company based in Attleboro, Massachusetts, began in 1922, founded by Raymond L. Wells (1904-1977). Initially, the company’s craftsmen made products from sterling silver, as well as gold, natural stones, and enamel. Traditionally, markings, usually on an oval cartouche, include “Wells Ster”, as well as 12K if the item contains gold.
Meanwhile, their “Seventy Two” series of silver bracelet charms has become best known. Made in the 1950s and 60s, such series as ‘Back to School’, retro cars, telephones, lighthouses, pianos, books and various objects are now highly collectible.
Noteworthy, Wells founded Raimond Silver Mfg Co in 1961 and registered several brands to manufacture and import silver goods, from kitchen utensils to jewelry. Six years later, he also acquired the oldest Massachusetts silverware company R. Blackinton & Company (founded by Walter Ballou and Roswell Blackinton in 1862). Wells’s business expanded, designs and products became more diversified, however, jewelry production ceased after Raymond’s death in 1977.
Signed Vintage Creations costume jewelry
The history of American jewelry company Vintage Creations Ltd. began in 1973 as a family business of Murray Shapiro and his wife Mildred. Originally, the company’s name was Heirloom 73 (2073) Jewelry Ltd., located at 242 West 30Th St. New York, New York. Seven years later Murray and Mildred Shapiro’s son Drew joined the family business. Since July 12, 1982 the company began manufacturing finely detailed handcrafted Art Deco old style costume jewelry with “Vintage Creations” marking.
Traditionally, the craftsmen used 925 sterling silver, marcasite, onyx, crystals and various gem stones. The marking, alongside with “sterling” and “Vintage”, has a small stamp consisting of a stylized “H” and the number “73” inside it.
Noteworthy, the company ceased to exist in 1991. According to sources, one of the designers of Vintage creations was Jenna Nicole, who later registered her own jewelry company.
Jeronimo Fuentes vintage silver jewelry
The renowned Taxco silversmith Jerónimo Fuentes created unique artistic silver jewellery with the use of guilloche enamel in the 1950s-70s. Fuentes was a pupil of American-born silver designer and artist William Spratling (1900-1967), having received his knowledge at the famous studio Taller de las Delicias. After completing his studies, he began his career at the Margot de Taxco studio, where he became its lead master (in 1952). Thanks to Margot van Voorhies Carr (1896-1985), the founder of the workshop, he mastered the “language of enamel on silver”, bringing to life any of Margot’s jewelry fantasies. However, in 1961, Fuentes opened his own workshop, where he began to make funny silver jewelry with multicolored enamel. After the closure of her studio in 1974, Margot allowed Fuentes to use her designs, but the artist chose to go his own way.
Traditionally, the markings on his products include HECHO EN MEXICO, STERLING, Silhouette-eagle and stylized JF, for Jeronimo Fuentes.
Lucien Piccard vintage costume jewelry
The history of renowned timepiece maker Lucien Piccard spans nearly one hundred years, founded in Switzerland in 1923. In addition to watches, eyewear and perfumes, clothing and footwear, leather goods and gifts, the company made exquisite costume jewelry. Noteworthy, Lucien Piccard is not the name of any particular living individual.
It was Manhattan, New York based jeweler Abraham Blumstein (1902-1984) who owned the trademark. Chairman of the Lucien Piccard company in New York since 1931, Abraham Blumstein registered “Lucien Piccard Original” jewelry trademark in 1953. Blumstein retired in 1968. However, his company Lucien Piccard Original ceased to exist in 1997.
Also, Lucien Piccard company registered some more trademarks on production of costume jewelry – in 1962, Giltron (1964 – 1985), in 1969 and in 2001 – trademark owned by A. G. Inc.
Natty Creations vintage costume jewelry
The history of Nat Levy Co., a jewelry company located at 302 Fifth Avenue, spans no more than three decades. Its founder, Nathan Levy, registered his jewelry trademark Natty Creations in the mid-1930s. Traditionally, the designer created dress accessories such as floral dress clips and Art Deco scarf holders. In the manufacture of jewelry, the company’s craftsmen used brass, alloys of gold and silver tone, freshwater and faux pearls. The markings on the back of each item included “Natty Creations” and a patent number. Thanks to this number, connoisseurs of vintage jewelry and just lovers of vintage jewelry can determine the date of manufacture of the product.
Noteworthy, Nathan Levy registered another jewelry trademark “Natalie Originals” in New York, New York in 1943. According to Business Notes, published in the New York Times on June 11, 1937, Nat Levy Co. collaborated with jewelry designers Urie F. Mandle and Harry Heiferman. As a result, the company name was changed to Nat Levy – Urie Mandle Corporation.