Bauman-Massa vintage costume jewelry
Bauman-Massa vintage costume jewelry (1935-1941)
The history of Bauman-Massa Jewelry Company began in St. Louis, Missouri, as wholesale jewelers, manufacturers and importers. Its founders were German born Samuel H. Bauman (1853-1933) and Edwin Massa (1848-1929). Incorporated in 1882, Bauman-Massa Jewelers’ Supply Co. changed name to Bauman-Massa Jewelry Company in 1895. The Bauman family sold the company in 1941. The new owner and president Catherine McCullar didn’t change the company’s name.
For 132 years of its existence, the company has launched three jewelry trademarks. In particular, Cardinal (1935 costume jewelry), Winsome (1976, rings) and Kate Mccullar (2001, diamond and gold jewelry).
Handcrafted in 1935-1941 under the direction of the Bauman family, these unsigned figural artisan pins are highly collectible today.
Inspired by South American nature, Indian and Mexican traditions, pot metal enameled ornaments have fabulous artisan design. Sold in branded department stores, BM ornaments were popular with both among jewelry lovers and tourists visiting South America or border areas. Indeed, Siesta, Mexicans in folk dress, cacti, coconuts, monkeys in palm trees and stubborn donkeys embodied in pins were a good souvenir of an exotic trip.
Unfortunately, one of the oldest American jewelry companies, Bauman-Massa Jewelry Co., ceased to exist in 2014.
The last owners of the company announced the liquidation of the company and its property, including jewelry, many of which the public saw for the first time in 2014.